Are you interested in learning more about various forms of oxygen therapy and what it could mean for your health and wellness? One option is hyperbaric oxygen in Costa Mesa.
What Is Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy (HBOT)?
HBOT is a treatment involving breathing in 100% oxygen while in a special room or chamber made to have higher than average atmospheric pressure. This is a well-established treatment that helps with decompression sickness but is also used for the treatment of conditions like:
- Slow-healing wounds due to radiation injury or diabetes
- Bubbles of air within the blood vessels
- Serious infections
How Does Hyperbaric Oxygen In Costa Mesa Work?
When in a special room or chamber, the air pressure gets boosted up to two or three times normal pressure while you breathe in 100% oxygen. What this does is help the lungs take in more oxygen than possible when breathing at normal air pressure. After the blood gets fully oxygenated, it gets carried throughout the body to stimulate growth factors, stem cells, and fight bacteria.
Conditions Treated With Help From Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy
There are many health conditions that HBOT is good for treating, including:
- Burn injuries
- Severe anemia
- Arterial gas embolism
- Brain abscess
- Carbon monoxide poisoning
- Decompression sickness
- Crush injuries
- Skin flap/graft at risk of necrosis
- Gangrene in the tissues
- Sudden deafness
- Painless, sudden vision loss
- Skin/bone infection leading to necrosis
When you seek treatment using hyperbaric oxygen, it is important that you also know the possible risks. While hyperbaric oxygen treatment is usually effective and safe, there are possible risks that may develop, including:
- Lung collapse from pressure changes in the air
- Temporary nearsightedness from eye lens changes
- Injuries to the middle ear, including leaking fluid or ruptured eardrum
- Seizures from oxygen toxicity, which is too much oxygen going into the central nervous system
Preparing For Your HBOT Appointment
The process for hyperbaric oxygen treatment will vary depending on the center you choose and the setup or system they have. However, there are some helpful tips that you can keep in mind regardless of the facility that you are visiting for HBOT. Things to keep in mind:
- Before treatment, always remove hearing aids, watches, wigs, jewelry, wire-rimmed glasses, prostheses, and other items.
- Avoid using any products containing petroleum the day of your session.
- Never wear oils or grease, such as makeup, lipstick, body lotions, perfumes, colognes, or hair products before treatment. You should also avoid deodorants or skincare that contain alcohol.
- Due to the higher air pressure, you may experience build-up in the ears like you would when traveling on a plane. Your team will instruct you on the best way of equalizing during the process.
- Until you know how treatment may impact you, it is best to have someone drive you Just in case you experience fatigue.
- Keep in mind that caffeine and smoking are known to constrict the blood vessels, which will make your HBOT less effective. If possible, refrain from drinking caffeinated beverages or smoking before the treatment and after for as long as possible.
Are you interested in learning more about hyperbaric oxygen in Costa Mesa? Get in touch with us at Ascent â Adaptation, and Regeneration to inquire or set up an appointment. You can reach us by calling (949) 474-4404.Hyperbaric Oxygen Costa Mesa